Today on the 27th March 2017 Sun Records celebrates its 65th birthday of being an independent record label, so we’re taking a look at some interesting facts about the ultimate Rock ‘n’ Roll label.
1. Sam Phillips founded the record label in 1952 after working as a radio engineer and a DJ for the local radio station WLAY in the 1940s.
2. Sam Philips named it Sun Records as a sign of his perpetual optimism: a new day and a new beginning.
3. Sun Records is known for being the place where rock and roll was born, as Sam was the person to discover many legendary and ground breaking talents, such as Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins.
4. The original Sun Records studio was based in Memphis, Tennessee. However, the studio now resides in Nashville.
5. Sam Phillips was known for allowing nearly anyone to play for him, he was patient and willing to listen to all types of music, believing that talent could come from anywhere.
6. Due to the diverse range of talent that Sun Records took on, there were no style limitations at the label. In one form or another Sun recorded them all.
7. There were sixteen female recording artists whose records were released on the Sun and Phillips international label. These include Barbara Pittman and the Miller Sisters.
8. During its 16 years in production, Sun Records produced 226 singles, and produced more Rock and Roll records than any other label at the time.
9. Leonardo DiCaprio is set to produce and star as Sam Phillips in an upcoming biopic film based on the book ‘Sam Phillips: the Man Who Invented Rock’n’Roll’.
10. Sun Records was hugely influential to many artists, and its legacy continues today including the ‘Sun Records’ 2017 television show, and of course the successful musical ‘Million Dollar Quartet’.